How do I obtain a grant application?

Applications are only available once a year. To obtain one, we suggest you attend the GFTA grant workshop in September. The workshop is an opportunity to review GFTA guidelines and priorities, explain the application process, distribute application forms and have questions answered by GFTA staff. To obtain information as to date, place and time of the next grant workshop, please E-Mail or call GFTA.

Are applications available online?

Yes, but only between September and our November deadline.

How can I get a copy of the guidelines and criteria for the grant?

There are several ways of accessing this information:

Do you fund organizations that are not based in San Francisco?

No, GFTA cannot fund organizations outside of the City and County of San Francisco.

Do you fund organizations who do programming outside of San Francisco but are based in the City and County of San Francisco?

Yes, but funds can only be used for San Francisco program activities.

Do you fund individual artists and their activities?

No, GFTA cannot fund individual artists. If you are an individual artist, you may want to contact the San Francisco Arts Commission.

How long does it usually take to receive a reimbursement?

Once all forms are in order, it generally takes 2 to 4 weeks.

What are the reimbursement guidelines?

Visit our Reimbursement Guidelines page for details.

Can my organization apply if we do not have 501(c)(3) nonprofit status?

GFTA can only fund nonprofit organizations and encourages all grantees to obtain nonprofit 501(c)(3) legal status. However, if your organization is in the process of attaining such status, you may use a fiscal sponsor with nonprofit 501(c)(3) status that agrees to represent your organization. If you are using a fiscal sponsor, you must use an application specially tailored to organizations using a fiscal sponsor. This application requires a copy of a formal agreement between you and your fiscal sponsor.